The IHC is an Indigenous-designed and Indigenous-led organization founded in 2016. We are dedicated to the advancement of cultural heritage priorities that are of importance to Métis, Inuit, and First Nations Peoples in Canada. The IHC has a Board of Directors which is made up of national leaders in the field of Indigenous cultural heritage and which includes individuals from diverse Indigenous backgrounds who have come together to support the following goals:
- To celebrate and promote Indigenous heritage and the role of Indigenous peoples in preserving this
- To advocate for cultural heritage programs, protocols, laws, policies, and funding opportunities that recognize Indigenous Peoples as the rightful caretakers of their heritage
- To support Indigenous communities in stewarding and safeguarding their heritage
- To further the understanding and respect for Indigenous heritage, laws, values, and protocols through facilitating dialogue and learning opportunities
The IHC provides national leadership in addressing Indigenous cultural heritage through dialogue, advocacy, research, and policy development for Indigenous communities. The IHC supports actions and policies consistent with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, and the laws and protocols of Indigenous Nations. Its primary focus is on Canadian issues and initiatives, but it is also committed to supporting Indigenous cultural heritage internationally.
Mission: The Indigenous Heritage Circle is an Indigenous-led organization that supports Indigenous Peoples to protect, preserve, and promote Indigenous cultural heritage.
Vision: Healthy and vibrant Indigenous communities in which Indigenous Peoples are supported and recognized in their role as the caretakers of Indigenous heritage in all forms.
The IHC serves the following groups:
- First Nations, Inuit, and Métis communities
- Indigenous governments, representative bodies, and organizations
- Heritage professionals working on behalf of Indigenous heritage
- Governments or governmental institutions
- Regional, national, and international bodies and NGOs